Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Slacking on writing, but not on reading

I've really been slacking on my posting here, but I've been reading like crazy.  Here's what I've finished since I last posted (10 days ago).  I am so  glad that I tossed The Goldfinch aside after 200 pages. It gave me time to read much better stuff.

Three novels (all very different; all great):
    A Tale for the Time Being; Ozeki, Ruth.  Author calls it a Zen novel,  I call it a good read.
    The Signature of All Things;  Gilbert, Elizabeth.  I haven't read anything else by her.  This is so good, I'm not sure I want to read her earlier books.
    John Saturnall's Feast;  Norfolk, Lawrence.  I have read some of his earlier work, this did not disappoint. 

A wonderful novella that had been sitting on my Kindle, half finished because I had so many library books approaching their due dates :
     An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter;  Aira, César; Chris Andrews, translator

Three short story collections (again, all different, all great):
    Battleborn; Watkins, Claire Vaye. A stunning debut.
    Amsterdam Stories; Nescio; Damion Searls, Translator
    Life Studies: Stories; Vreeland, Susan

Poetry:  
    Senegal Taxi; Herrera, Juan Felipe.

An eclectic assortment of non-fiction:

   The Mystery of the Hanging Garden of Babylon: An elusive world wonder traced;  Dalley, Stephanie. 

  Oudry's Painted Menagerie: Portraits of Exotic Animals in Eighteenth-Century      Europe;  Morton, Mary and others.  I read this online at the Getty Virtual Library--an amazing resource.

  In Translation: Translators On Their Work And What It Means; Allen, Esther.  This is a must read for anyone interested in literary translations (either as a practitioner or reader).

  Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World; Rhodes, Richard. 

  The Beats: A Graphic History; Buhle, Paul.  A good topic for a graphic presentation. 

  I'll Take You There: Mavis Staples, the Staple Singers, and the March up Freedom's Highway; Kot, Greg

   

No comments:

Post a Comment