Saturday, January 11, 2014

About those Challenges

 It being a new year and all, everyone is offering various reading challenges.  Read Australian books, Irish books, Translated books, books set in each of the fifty states, genre books, etc.

I looked them over.  Many were things I normally do, so no challenge with them.  Many are things I'd never do, so forget them.

I decided to set my own goals.

Book Goals:

On Goodreads I set a goal of 100 books in 2014.  That's not a really big deal for me.  So to make it challenging I set some other goals within the 100.  More non-fic (sub goals arts, science, history, social science) and  more poetry than I read in 2013.  How much of each I'm not sure,  I'll have to do some math and figure out some numbers.  Think I'll do percentages because I'll probably read more than 100 books.

I also want to step a bit out of my comfort zone:
Explore graphic novels
Some current sci fi/fantasy (haven't read much of that in the past couple of years)


Net Reading:  Read some things that are not about books!

So I set out these independent goals but two things showed up while I was working on them.

One is  the read-alongs at  January in Japan Sounds interesting so I'll give this a try.
  January the 16th - The Diving Pool by Yōko Ogawa
  January the 30th - Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

The other is the Reading Bingo Challenge 2014 at Retreat by Random House 
  My first thought on this one was to print out the card, mount it on cork or heavy  cardboard and get some dart.  I decided it would be simpler (and safer) to download it and use my mouse as a dart.

So now I have my somewhat vague personal goals and two "pre-packaged" goals to work on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment