Thursday, December 27, 2018

"There's a book in the mail!'

Yesterday's snail mail (slight misnomer, see *note below) had a book for me. Naturally I stopped what I was doing (reading my email) and rushed downstairs to grab it.

 Opening book mail is always a bit of an enjoyable mystery. Is it a subscription book from Open Letter, Deep Vellum, or Three Lines? Or my win from LibraryThing, Goodreads, or some blog? A late Christmas gift? It all flashes through my mind as I hobble (I stubbed my big toe something awful on Christmas Eve--it's not broken but it is bruised and cut) to the stairs.

 My housemate is holding a rather thin book mailer and hands it to me when I'm halfway down the stairs. It's too thin for what's I'm expecting from subscriptions and I'm puzzled.

 Oh boy it's from Archipelago Books! I did win something from them on LitHub but I can't remember what it was. Hum...what is it?  I slide the item out of the mailer and--It's Wrapped! The mystery continues...what fun!

 And the "wrapping paper" is an unmutilated four page section of TLS from July 27, 2018. I carefully remove it because I want to read the exposed review of two climbing books. (Later I place a hold on The Push by Tommy Caldwell.) I smooth the paper and set the bonus reading matter aside and get to the meat of package.

 Of course! It's The Barefoot Woman

Fine book with its nifty 'wrapping paper'
Is this accidental or is it a feminist message?
  
Thank you Archipelago, LitHub, & USPS!

*note:  The email informing me of the win and requesting my address came on the afternoon of Dec 19. I replied two hours later.  Note saying "book is in the mail" came around noon on the 20th. Book arrived on the 26th. Not so "snail" considering weekend, holiday, and Christmas mail crunch.



No comments:

Post a Comment