Saturday, August 04, 2018

August (first week) 2018 Reads

This week the "Deal Me In" card is the Queen of Hearts; the story The Taxidermist by David Abrams (in Watchlist: 32 Stories by Persons of Interest)
A taxidermist with a unique, unsettling paranormal gift. One of my favorite stories from this anthology.  Here are some links to a few of Abrams' works online. He also has a great blog: The Quivering Pen

elsewhere online...
Treepedia: Exploring the Green Canopy in cities around the world 
from MIT Senseable City Lab - a source worth further exploration.

and from the library...

Two excellent short story collections:
A Thousand Morons by Quim Monzó; translated from the Catalan by Peter Bush
Awayland by Ramona Ausubel


...and an ok collection:
Tell Tale: Short Stories by Jeffrey Archer

a good novel;
A Boy in Winter by Rachel Seiffert

...and two novels that I found disappointing (because I've liked everything else I read from these authors):
The Neighborhood by Mario Vargas Llosa; translated from the Spanish by Edith Grossman
The End of a Family Story by Péter Nádas; trhanslated from the Hungarian by Imre Goldstein

a non-fiction that I enjoyed:
The Ninth: Beethoven and the World in 1824 by Harvey Sachs

as for my shelves...I didn't touch them except to add some things that came in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment