Saturday, December 16, 2017

December (third week) 2017 Reads

This week I concentrated on the "owned but unread shelf" and came up with quite a mix.

Deal Me In:  This week's story was Referential by Lorrie Moore (in The best American short stories, 2013)
Not my favorite story. I read it on Wednesday and now, on Saturday, I have zero recollection of it.

Card: 7of Hearts --no image this week

from my shelves... 

 


Seven Days of Us by Francesca Hornak
I really liked this debut novel. Review cross-posted on Goodreads and LibraryThing.
Advance review copy via Goodreads giveaway





 


A Brief History of Portable Literature by Enrique Vila-Matas; translated from the Spanish


Best cover this week.







The Toaster Oven Mocks Me: Living with Synesthesia by Steve Margolis (Kindle ed)
Interesting memoir but I had hoped for more documented material on the condition.




 




American Phoenix: John Quincy and Louisa Adams, the War of 1812, and the Exile That Saved American Independence by Jane Hampton Cook (Kindle ed)
Well written but I think Louisa: The Extraordinary Life of Mrs. Adams by Louisa Thomas was a more readable coverage of the material. I would have found this more interesting if I hadn't read the Thomas book first.









Martian Goods & Other Stories by Noelle Campbell (Kindle ed)
Inter-related sci-fi stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment