Sunday, December 04, 2016

More Pitol readings

Here are a few of the things that caught my interest as I read The Journey by Sergio Pitol (George Henson, Translation), with a few notes. (See my blog post Pitol readings for other readings inspired by Pitol.)

THE INSPECTOR-GENERAL: A comedy in five acts By Nicolay Gogol; Translated by Thomas Seltzer. On Project Gutenberg
(Also translated as The Government Inspector)
Pitol attended, and enjoyed, a performance of this play. I had heard of it before but had never seen it or read it.

Marina Tsvetaeva: Twenty-Four Poems Translated by A. S. Kline
The Best of Marina Tsvetayeva Translated by Ilya Shambat
Pitol has a great deal to say about this Russian poet. I'm not sure about the quality of the translations on these sites--will look for more.





Svetitskhoveli Cathedral Wikipedia article

Mtskheta, Georgia The cathedral and other places Pitol mentions from a sightseeing trip to the old capital of Georgia (p 137-). (Photograph is from this link)





The Caucasus in Russian Literary Imagination: Pushkin, Lermontov and Tolstoy (part I)(Also connects to part II) This sent me to my library's database to place holds on a few books....Pushkin's poems, and a Tolstoy novel.

 



Niko Pirosmani: Short Biographical Information. Biography and several examples of the Georgian primitive painter's work.

220 Works of Pirosmani
With brief biography





I look forward to Deep Vellum's next Pitol publication of  The Magician of Vienna - the final part of Pitol’s Trilogy of Memory.  It's due to be published in February 2017. I wonder where it will lead me?

No comments:

Post a Comment