Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Letter G

Just a little meme - List your favorite book, author, song, film, and object beginning with a particular letter assigned by the Stuck in a Book blog. I was given G. This was random, it has nothing to do with my surname initial.

Book:

One of my all time favorite historical novels, this was published in 1972. "This unforgettable story of undying love combines mysticism, suspense, mystery, and romance into a web of good and evil that stretches from 16th-century England to the present day." (from Goodreads description)



Author: Gardner, John. There are several authors with this name, I mean the American (John Champlin Gardner Jr; 1933-1982). I've read most of his books.
Some of his works:
Grendel (illustrated by Emil Antonucci), 1971
The Sunlight Dialogues, 1972
Jason and Medeia, 1973
Nickel Mountain: A Pastoral Novel, 1973
October Light, 1976.
Freddy's Book, 1980
The Art of Living and Other Stories, 1981 

Song: First one that came to my mind was Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John 1976) It's on YouTube 


Film: Galaxy Quest (1999) A science fiction parody which I enjoyed because I saw it with a couple of good friends at a time when I needed a good laugh. Also there was a scene shot at Goblin Valley State Park (Utah) which I had just visited.  Here is one of the "goblins" Google Goblin Valley and look at the images and you will see why this made a perfect setting for a sci-fi film. These natural formations are huge and amazing.


Object: Greek figurine; Cycladic


This museum reproduction purchased on the island of Paros on an island hopping trip in 1997.

Photograph about 1/2 actual size. She's nowhere near as big as the goblin above, but she's mine and she fits nicely on a with some of my books about Greece. I shelve my books somewhat geographically; mixing fiction, travel, history according to locale. Each shelf has some object that goes with the books.

1 comment:

  1. I finally read Katherine by Anya Seton and promptly acquired Green Darkness--it looks so good. Glad to hear it's a favorite with you.

    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is definitely a classic song.

    I like your Greek figurine, and how it fits into your life and bookshelf. Great object!

    ReplyDelete