Friday, March 31, 2023

March 2023

Sort of a mish-mash this month. Managed to make some progress on my Kindle backlog. I really don't mind reading on Kindle but I frequently forget I have it and usually have no idea what's on it. Usually I manage to read it in waiting rooms and I spent a lot of time this month in both  hospital and car repair waiting rooms. Managed to read while the car was being repaired. I was unable to concentrate at the hospital so I took a rather long walk. 

Here's the reading for March.

On my Kindle:
Palpasa Café by Wagle, Narayan
Finished Mar 2. Nepalese Civil War
The Island by Matute, Ana María
Finished Mar 2. Coming of age in Mallorca. Spanish Civil War.

From the public library
The Hummingbird by Veronesi, Sandro; translated from the Italian by Pala, Elena
Finished Mar 3. Really good.
Stealing by Verble, Margaret.
Finished Mar 7. Coming of age, Cherokee/White girl, "Christian" boarding school
The Lost English Girl by Kelly Julia
Finished Mar 8. Family story set in WW2 Liverpool.
Everything the Light Touches by Pariat, Janice.
Finished Mar 12. Very good. Botany. Moderns & Victorians in India, Goethe in Italy, some Linnaeus in Lapland.
Woman of Light by Fajardo-Anstine, Kali
Finished Mar 17. Mixed race (Native American/Hispanic/Belgian) sister and brother in Denver in the 1930s. Ok, could have been better.
The Blackout Book Club by Green, Amy Lynn
Finished Mar 19. So, so story of the USA WW2 home front.
Delphi by Pollard, Clare
Finished Mar 20. Meh...Oh, hum....Quarantine was just as boring in London as it was in Connecticut.
Once We Were Home by Rosner, Jennifer 
Finished Mar 23. "Hidden" Jewish children returned to their "families" after WW2. Well told.
The God of Endings by Holland, Jacqueline 
Finished Mar 26. Vampires aren't really my thing but I thought i'd give this a try. Parts were well written but I went back and forth between being intrigued and being bored. About halfway through boredom won out and I started skimming a lot (mostly the gore which definitely got in the way of the story). Not a winner. 
The Dance Tree by Hargrave, Kiran Millwood
Finished Mar 25. Ok story of a dance mania in Strasbourg in 1518. (pure coincidence that I read this alongside the Martha Graham biography--it's a different kind of dance!)
Martha Graham: When Dance Became Modern by Baldwin, Neil 
Finished Mar 27. Very good biography.
Shy: The Alarmingly Outspoken Memoirs of Mary Rodgers by Rodgers, Mary and  Green, Jesse
Finished Mar 29. What a romp!
Oscar Wars: A History of Hollywood in Gold, Sweat, and Tears by Schulman, Michael 
Finished Mar 16. Just what the title promises. Also both serious and gossipy. 
Who Gets Believed?: When the Truth Isn't Enough by Nayeri, Dina
Finished Mar 20

Online:
The value of a pile of sticks in your yard or garden  by Anahí Espíndola, Assistant Professor, Department of Entomology, University of Maryland, College Park.
I often have a pile of sticks in my yard. They add a bit of rustic charm. OK, my entire yard is rustic charm. Anyway, I was right with this article until i came to the part about building the pile of sticks. Who knew it needed to be curated?!  Heck, just tossa bunch of sticks in a sort of pile and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment