Saturday, March 09, 2019

These Caught My Attention Because...


Because this is the land where I was grown...
The Land Where Birds Are Grown A visit to the engineered wetlands of California’s intensively cultivated Central Valley by Cynthia Hooper

Because procrastination is a thing with me...
I've Been Meaning to Talk to You About Procrastination by David Abrams

   and on the same note...


Because I went to the eye doctor yesterday and something he told me led to my googling and finding this...
Mayo Clinic Q and A: Fish oil supplements and dry eyes By Liza Torborg 
I've been taking this stuff for other reasons for years and didn't know I was helping my eyes.

Because he was Connecticut based... 

“Form-Generating is Similar to Music – You Try to Compose Music and Suddenly the Melody Comes”: In Conversation with Kevin Roche  by Vladimir Belogolovsky

Because lit in translation...Yes
The Catalan Paradox: Writers, Editors, and Translators on the Literature of a Stateless Language
Azareen Van der Vliet Oloomi interviews Quim Monzó


Between worlds: in praise of the literary translator by Miranda France

Gendered “Revenge” in Emma Ramadan’s Reworking of Brice Matthieussent’s Meta-Novel
By Arshy Azizi
It's rare that I read a review or interview concerning a book I'm currently reading but I couldn't resist this one. I was about 2/3 of the way through the book when I succumbed to the temptation to google to find out if the translator (Emma Ramadan, that is--everyone in this book is a translator of sorts) had given any interviews on this work. I found this review and decided to read it. It goes beyond where I had read so there was a chance of spoilers. But I didn't think anything could spoil the marvelous book. I was right. There are some revelations but, for me, no spoilers though other readers might not agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment