Thursday, January 31, 2019

Slowing Down


Doing some very slow reading recently because:

 1. Back in October I won a lovely book from the Columbia University Press Blog
The book is Remains of Life by Wu He, translated from Chinese by Michael Berry. I started it this week and it's a slow go for me partly because it concerns an incident in Taiwanese history and my knowledge of the topic is thin. Lots of Googling necessary. Adding to that is the format of the book. A stream of consciousness novel with no sentence, paragraph, nor chapter breaks. It is well punctuated with commas, semicolons, dashes, etc. so it actually reads rather smoothly. So smoothly that I didn't actually realize it was all one sentence until about page 45 when I started looking for a place to break, turn off the light, and go to sleep. I finally stopped at a semicolon and had no trouble at all when I picked it up again the next day.

2. The current selection for Chad Post's Two Month Review is Radiant  Terminus by Antoine Volodine, translated from French by Jeffery Zukerman. (Open Letter books) I read this last spring and I'm enjoying this review.

3. When I got the forthcoming notice for Sergio Pitol's Miphisto's Waltz from Deep Vellum I was sure that the moment it arrived I would pop it out of its package and start reading. But it arrived just after I started the Taiwan novel...but I want to read this soon!

4. I also started The Gray House by Mariam Petrosyan, Yuri Machkasov (Translator) at about the same time I started the Taiwan epic sentence. I figured I might read them concurrently. That's not happening.

Too much going on. I should make some progress today & tomorrow since its 5℉ (feels like -8) and there is a thin layer of snow/ice from yesterday's squall. Stay inside and read, read, read!

Online
For some breaks from all of the above there's always my daily shot from Bloglovin...which leads to some interesting reading:

Nice profile of one of three presses where I have a subscription (the other two are Open Letter and Deep Vellum)  Small Press Profile: Two Lines Press  by Liz Button

This one struck a chord taking me back to my ex-pat days...Grocery-store Nationalism

No comments:

Post a Comment