Sunday, July 31, 2016

July (second half) 2016 Reads

Second half of July started off with a winner...

Willnot by James Sallis
I read this excellent book in one day. Author is new to me and I don't know why I never heard of him before. He has a large body of work (going back to the 1970s). Will check availability at local libraries. Library Book.

And then...a loser.

The Crooked House by Christobel Kent
Yuck.   Library Book--glad I didn't pay for this.

And then...another winner

Texas: The Great Theft  by Carmen Boullosa, Samantha Schnee (Translation)
Wow!
from my personal library

...and some more winners...

The Clouds
by Juan José Saer, Hilary Vaughn Dobel (Translation)
from my personal library.

A Legacy by Sybille Bedford, Brenda Wineapple (Introduction)
from my personal library

Quiet Creature on the Corner by João Gilberto Noll, Adam Morris (Translation)
Vague and poetic.  from my personal library

The Curious Case of Dassoukine’s Trousers
by Fouad Laroui, Emma Ramadan (Translation), Laila Lalami (Goodreads Author) (Introduction)
Superb satirical short stories. Some set in Europe, others in Morocco. One of the best of this batch. Happy to be a supporter of the publisher Deep Vellum (which also published Texas). from my personal library.

and a debut YA novel (which I won from bookriot.com)

This Raging Light by Estelle Laure
High school girl has to cope with both her parents missing, a young sister to take care of, and more. A bit uneven but a promising debut.

Online

Storytelling Series: Tom Abba on Defining Unknown Narrative Formats

Nigeria Prize for Literature Names 11 Authors to Longlist

No comments:

Post a Comment