Saturday, April 26, 2014

Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon

                                


 






                                      Hour 19 Challenge Book Balancing
                                            Book 4, p 64




 Hour 15 Challenge. This picture reminds me of  The Golem and the Jinni
I'm sure they are both in it (in their human forms).
                 

          Hour 14 Challenge - My Name in Titles
                              MARTHA                              
 
                                Challenge for hour 10  Shelfie April 26, 2014





Challenge for hour 11
First Edition








Mid-Event Survey
1. What are you reading right now?
    This dark road to mercy
2. How many books have you read so far?
    I'm on page 36 of my third book
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
   Mr Darwin's Gardener
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day?
  Yes, I had to switch my night to cook.  My daughter has been waiting on me all day.
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
  No serious interruptions.
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
  How much time I spend with the challenges. I skipped a couple of them.
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
  Not sure. This is my first time. Maybe I'll have suggestions when it's finished.
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year?
 I really jumped in at the last minute, next time I'll plan ahead.
9. Are you getting tired yet?
 Not really.
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered?
 Not at this time.

7:36 am (EDT)
OK, I'm a last minute signer for this an I haven't the foggiest notion of what I'm doing other than reading for 24 hours straight. Well, I've done that before: for school, in airports, hospitals, insomnia night, etc.

I now have twenty minutes to decide what to read!

7:51 am:  Selections made, sort of. I'll alternate between the stacks displayed in my post of April 23, 2014 (One Step Forward, Two Steps Back). A good variety, nothing too taxing, and some short stuff for late in the day.

8:00 am:  Starting with The Train to Warsaw: A Novel
9:00 am:  Entered two hourly challenges.  Am on page 83. Sipping cold coffee.  House very quiet, housemate is not awake yet. Rain has stopped but it is very grey out there.  Perfect day for a read-a-thon.
10:00 am: Nice break to do jigsaw puzzles for challenge. Page 141.  Housemate moving about, mumbling goodmornings.
10:52 am Finished 1st book.  heavy, but beautifully written. need something lite. Snack on tangerine and off to check out Read-a-thon home page.

11:05 am: Starting 2nd book 
The Vacationers
The Vacationers 

11:14 am: housemate (daughter) wandered through.  She will do lunch AND dinner!
12:11 pm: lunch! turkey & Swiss on rye.  Cherry tomatoes, cranberry Italian soda. an apple. page 37. wondering if i want to do the hourly challenge.

4:50 pm: Lunch was great.  Read straight through after lunch. Just finished The Vacationers. A family vacation set on the island of Mallorca where my own family used to vacation.  Glad to say none of our trips to Mallorca were as traumatic as the one in this book! But it was a good read.
5:11 pm: Took a brief break, a shower, ate another tangerine.
Starting book 3  This Dark Road to Mercy 

9:51pm: p 155, 3rd book.  Took picture for hour 14 challenge.  Was shaky took 4 tries.  eating a trail mix bar.  (forgot to post dinner at 6pm but I did eat!)

12:25 am:  finished 3rd book.  starting  The Wives of Los Alamos moved to floor for a while

5:43 am: finished 4th book.  Really, really tired.  going to get ice water.  Next book  Mr Darwin's Gardener

No comments:

Post a Comment