Saturday, May 26, 2018

May (fourth week) 2018 Reads




Finished two really good books this week and a third one that I'm not so sure about. Also had a very pleasant picnic at the Hampton Reservoir Boat Launch. The picture shows that this a place for launching canoes, kayaks, and other small craft.
It's a really pleasant and restful place.
Saw some families of geese and some other birds. 





This week the "Deal Me In" card is, oops, cards are, a Joker and the Five of Spades.
The story for ♠5♠ is Way of Remembrance  by Jung Young Moon; translated from the Korean by Jung Yewon (in A Most Ambiguous Sunday and other stories)
A story of mourning and remembering. Weird and I liked it.

The Joker is a wild card...so here is something I came across this when I was looking at Lev Parikian's blog (see entry for his book below) Reasons to be cheerful

from my shelves...

Why Do Birds Suddenly Disappear? 200 birds, 12 months, 1 lapsed birdwatcher by Lev Parikian
I doubt that I will ever go bird watching in the UK (or anywhere else), still I thoroughly enjoyed this account of attempting to spot 200 species in one calendar year. It was really fun to look over Parikian's shoulder while he indulged his passion.

Actually I occasionally watch a few birds in my backyard--robins (our state bird), cardinals, some sort of woodpecker who drilled a hole in the eaves, a wild turkey, some migrating geese who liked the big puddle in the back yard, and an unidentified little bird that has set a nest in our hanging flower basket. And then those aquatic thingies (geese? ducks? loons?) at the reservoir. I enjoy looking at them without knowing details. Quoting the author (from his blog entry  Reasons to be cheerful) "Resisting the temptation to photograph the above and put it on Instagram, but just drinking it in and remembering it."

I also enjoy the author's blog where he talks about birds, music, cook books and other stuff.   

 I participated in crowdfunding this book through Unbound.


Radiant Terminus by Antoine Volodine; translated from the French by Jeffrey Zuckerman
Stunning!







 

The Attempt by Magdaléna Platzová: translated from the Czech by Alex Zucker
Not sure how I feel about this novel about anarchists. I thin it deserves a reread before I comment or rate it.
Free from the publisher as a sort of "bonus" along with a book I requested through LibraryThing.

No comments:

Post a Comment